Trenholm State Community College

Dual Enrollment


Counselor Checklist for Dual Enrollment
Dual Enrollment Application
Dual Enrollment Frequently Asked Questions

Institutions within the Alabama Community College System are authorized to establish dual enrollment/dual credit programs with local boards of education in the College service area.  Courses offered by Alabama Community College System shall be of postsecondary level and enrolled students must pay normal tuition as required by the postsecondary institution, or as stipulated in a contract for services between the two levels.  A student is eligible for dual enrollment/dual credit if the student meets the following criteria:

  • The student must meet the entrance requirements established by the Alabama Community College System.
  • The student must have a “minimum cumulative 2.5 GPA. .
  • The student must have written approval of the appropriate principal and/or the local superintendent of education.
  • The student must be in either grade 10, 11, or 12, or have an exception granted by the participating postsecondary institution upon the recommendation of the student’s superintendent or his/her designee in accordance with Alabama Administrative Code 290-8-9-.17 regarding gifted and talented students.
  • Students may enroll in occupational/technical courses/programs in accordance with guidelines of the Alabama Community College System.
  • Students enrolled in courses offered during the normal high school day, on or off the high school campus, shall have prior permission of the student’s superintendent or his/her designee and the participating postsecondary institution’s president.
  • Parental permission and travel for courses offered off the high school campus during the normal school day will be administered under the auspices of local boards of education.
  • Six semester credit hours at the postsecondary level shall equal one credit at the high school level in the same or a related subject. Partial credit agreements shall be developed between the participating postsecondary institution and the local boards of education.