General Principles for Transfer of Credit
Applicants who have previously attended another regionally or Council on Occupational Education accredited postsecondary institution will be considered transfer students and will be required to submit official transcripts of all work attempted at all said institutions. Transfer students must also provide other admissions documents as required for first-time students at the College.
Transfer students who meet requirements for admissions to courses creditable toward an associate degree shall be classified as “degree-eligible” students. Transfer students who do not meet these requirements shall be classified as non-degree eligible students.
- Coursework transferred or accepted for credit toward a certificate or a degree must represent collegiate coursework relevant to the student’s degree plan. In assessing and documenting equivalent learning and qualified faculty, an institution may use recognized guides which aid in the evaluation for credit. Such guides include those published by the American Council on Education, The American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers, and the National Association of Foreign Student Affairs.
- The College will accept courses completed at other regionally accredited colleges or colleges accredited by the Council on Occupational Education for transfer credit only when the student earned a passing grade of “C” or higher in the course and the course is part of the student’s degree plan at Trenholm. Higher grades may be required by the College for selected courses provided the higher grades are also required in courses for native students.
- A transfer student from a college not accredited by the appropriate regional association or Council on Occupational Education may request an evaluation of transfer credits after completing 15 semester hours with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above.
- Transfer credit(s) will be evaluated during the first term of enrollment, only if transferrable grades are “C” or better. College transcripts will only be evaluated when all transcripts are received.
- Awarding of transfer credit to fulfill graduation requirements will be based on the applicability of the credits to the requirements of the degree pursued.
- Credit may be extended based on a comprehensive evaluation of demonstrated and documented competencies and previous formal training. (See section on Alternative Sources of Credit).
- Courses completed at Trenholm State may transfer to other technical colleges and to the technical divisions of community colleges. Credits may transfer to the academic divisions of community colleges or to four-year colleges/universities. However, the decision on the acceptance of transfer credits always rests with the receiving college.
All requests concerning transfer courses should be directed to the college/university to which a student plans to transfer.
Students who attended another college/university and who wish to earn credits for transfer to that parent college may be admitted to the College as transient students. Students must submit an application for admissions and a letter or Transient Permission Form from the parent institution to certify that the credits earned at the College will be accepted as part of their academic program. The offcial letter or Transient Permission Form must be properly signed by the dean, registrar, or advisor at the parent college and must contain the specific college course(s) students have been approved to take. Transient students are not required to file transcripts of their previously earned credits at other colleges/universities.