ACCUPLACER Assessment Information
Thank you for your interest in placement testing at Trenholm State Community College. Trenholm State has adopted a modified schedule to minimize exposure to COVID-19. We are now offering ACCUPLACER testing online through a virtual proctoring process. This will allow prospective students to complete the ACCUPLACER at home using a desktop computer, laptop, or Chromebook with a webcam, microphone, and speakers.
What is the ACCUPLACER Placement Test?
ACCUPLACER® Placement Test is a computerized assessment of skills in Math and Writing. It is used to measure your readiness for college-level courses and to help enroll students in the class which corresponds to their individual skill levels in math and writing. We currently use the Next-Generation ACCUPLACER Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics placement test, and the WritePlacer Test.
What Should I Do to Get Prepared for the ACCUPLACER?
- Use study guides and practice tests to help you prepare. These free resources include the types of questions and essays you’ll see when you take the ACCUPLACER Test, so you’ll know ahead of time what your experience will be like on test day. For the Math Test, use the Next-Generation ACCUPLACER Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics study guide. For the Writing Test, use the WritePlacer Guide with Sample Essays.
- Meet with a Tutor in the Student Success Center to help you get prepared. We offer ACCUPLACER Prep sessions weekly. Visit https://www.trenholmstate.edu/ssc to schedule your appointment today.
- Download the free ACCUPLACER Study App. This study app features official practice tests in each subject that you can take on your computer, smartphone, or tablet. It is formatted just like the real ACCUPLACER tests, and you will receive immediate feedback explaining correct and incorrect answers.
- In order to test, you must have a desktop computer, laptop, or Chromebook with a webcam, microphone, and speakers. Before test day, you will need to test your computer to make sure it meets compatibility requirements required for the ACCUPLACER. Visit https://www.accuplacer.org and utilize the Verify System tool on the bottom right side of the page to check your system requirements. You should also check that your computer can access Zoom video before your testing appointment: Go to the Zoom website, download and install Zoom: https://www.zoom.us/download#client_4meeting To check that Zoom was set up correctly, click here: https://www.zoom.us/test. Please use the option to join with video.
What Can I Expect on Test Day?
- ACCUPLACER Testing is currently offered remotely. You can use a desktop computer, a laptop, or Chromebook with a webcam, microphone, and speakers to take the test.
- You should plan to test in a quiet space where you will not be disturbed.
- Testing will start on time as scheduled. Please log-in to your test session at least 10 minutes before your scheduled session. Most people take about 2 hours to complete all sections of the test. However, the test is not timed, so relax and take the time you need.
- You must have a valid driver's license or state-issued non-driving ID on test day to present to the Proctor.
- Testers are not allowed to bring calculators, cell phones, or any other devices in the virtual Testing room.
- Only your monitor, mouse, keyboard, blank scratch paper and pencil are allowed on your work space. All other items must be removed.
How Do I Register for the Test?
- Prospective students can view their enrollment status through your MyTrenholm Account. You will also be notified directly via email and given instructions on registering for the ACCUPLACER.
- Please check your email regularly for updates and important details.
Test Exemption Guidelines
No tests are required for general admission to Trenholm State Community College but may be required for placement in college-level courses.
First-time college students may have ACT, SAT or GED (2014 series) scores considered for placement in college-level English and math if those scores have been earned within 5 years. If test scores are not available or not at the appropriate level, then students who have graduated high school within 5 years with a 2.75 grade point average (GPA) may have their grades in English IV (senior English) and Algebra II considered for placement in college-level English and math. Students must have the results of their ACT, SAT or GED and high school transcripts** forwarded to Trenholm State to be used for placement purposes.
First-time students without proof of appropriate ACT, SAT or GED scores, those with scores below the established guidelines, or those without proof of a 2.75 grade point average or higher on their final high school transcript, must register online to take the ACCUPLACER Placement Assessment in writing and mathematics prior to meeting with an advisor to enroll in courses.
Students who transfer from a regionally accredited college without a C or better in a degree-creditable English composition and college-level algebra course and without exemptions as listed below, will be required to take one or both parts of the placement test.
Want to know how you can be exempt from taking the ACCUPLACER? Click the following link to view more details. ACCUPLACER Exemptions.
What if I Have Questions About the Test?
If you have questions or need assistance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.