Trenholm State Community College

Apply Now!


Transfer Students

General Principles for Transfer of Credit

Apply Today

An applicant who has previously attended another duly accredited postsecondary institution will be considered a transfer student. To be classified as degree eligible, a transfer student must have submitted an application for admission and official transcripts from all duly accredited postsecondary institutions attended and any other documents required for first-time students. Even though transcripts from non-duly accredited institutions may not be required for admission to the College, transcripts from all institutions are required for recipients of federal student aid. A duly accredited institution is accredited by one of the six regional accrediting bodies recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.

A transfer student who does not meet the requirements in the previous paragraph will be classified as a non-degree eligible student/ability to benefit student or conditional. An applicant who has completed the baccalaureate degree will be required to submit only the transcript from the institution granting the baccalaureate degree. 

A transfer student who does not have on file official transcripts from all postsecondary institutions attended and any additional documents required may be granted conditional admission. No transfer student shall be allowed to enroll for a second semester unless all required admissions records have been received prior to registration for the second semester.

If all required admissions records have not been received prior to issuance of first semester grades, the grades will be reported on the transcript, but the transcript will read CONTINUED ENROLLMENT DENIED PENDING RECEIPT OF ADMISSIONS RECORDS. This notation will be removed from the transcript only upon receipt of all required admissions records.

Course work transferred or accepted for credit toward an undergraduate program must represent collegiate course work relevant to the formal award. Course content and level of instruction must result in student competencies at least equivalent to those of students enrolled in College undergraduate formal award programs. In assessing and documenting equivalent learning and qualified faculty members, the College may use recognized guides that aid in the evaluation for credit. Such guides include those published by the American Council on Education, the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers, and the National Association of Foreign Student Affairs.

Courses completed with a passing grade at other duly accredited institutions are accepted for transfer as potentially creditable toward graduation requirements. Transfer students who desire to have course work completed at international colleges or universities evaluated for transfer credit must submit an evaluation provided by an organization affiliated with the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services.

Articulation Agreements

The Statewide Transfer and Articulation Reporting System (STARS) allows public two-year students in Alabama to obtain a transfer guide/agreement for the major of their choice. The guide/agreement, if used correctly, guides the student through his/her first two years of coursework and prevents loss of credit hours upon transfer to the appropriate public four-year university in Alabama. The Alabama Articulation and General Studies Committee (AGSC) is responsible for oversight and monitoring of the STARS System.  

The Alabama Community College System's 2 to 4 Transfer Program facilitates the seamless transfer from community colleges to selected independent colleges and universities in Alabama. The 2 to 4 Transfer Program is similar to the STARS program in that it allows transfer to four-year institutions. A transfer agreement, if used correctly, will guide the student through his/her first two years of coursework and prevent loss of credit hours upon transfer to appropriate independent four-year colleges and universities in Alabama.  

Associate of Arts and Associate of Science Degrees are articulated under STARS.  The Associate of Applied Science Degree's general education courses are articulated under STARS.  However, career/technical courses are subject to transfer based on articulation agreements from specific institutions.  

All requests concerning transfer courses should be directed to the college/university to which a student plans to transfer.

Transient Students

Students who attended another college/university and who wish to earn credits for transfer to that parent college may be admitted to the College as transient students. Students must submit an application for admissions and a letter or Transient Permission Form from the parent institution to certify that the credits earned at the College will be accepted as part of their academic program. The offcial letter or Transient Permission Form must be properly signed by the dean, registrar, or advisor at the parent college and must contain the specific college course(s) students have been approved to take. Transient students are not required to file transcripts of their previously earned credits at other colleges/universities.

History of

For half a century, thousands of students have charted their path to success at Trenholm State Community College. From the 1960s to today, we have been part of the fabric of Montgomery and the River Region, growing to include diverse programs of study, multiple campuses, and online learning. Now, we celebrate the present and move forward with a renewed dedication to our community and the success of our students. We invite you to join us.

Contact Trenholm State

1-866-753-4544 334-420-4200 or email us

Trenholm Campus:
1225 Air Base Blvd
Montgomery, Alabama 36108
Directions »
Mailing Address:
Post Office Box 10048
Montgomery, Alabama 36108