Trenholm State Community College

International Students

On behalf of the faculty, staff, and administration, thank you for choosing Trenholm State Community College! We are here to assist you during your academic and career endeavors and encourage you to take advantage of the resources provided to assist in your success.

Please review the various categories below to learn more about the enrollment process, admissions documentation requirements, and Frequently Asked Questions.

Again, welcome to Trenholm State, and best wishes!

For more information or for assistance please contact:

Tennie McBryde, Ph.D.
Director of Records/College Registrar and DSO


Frequently Asked Questions


International students are not U. S. citizens and have either obtained or in the process of obtaining some class of visa (typically an F-1 student visa).


You will receive the I-20 after you have been admitted to Trenholm State and only after you have completed all required international student forms and materials, including World Education Services (WES) evaluations, Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Your information will be entered on the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) at the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). The I-20 will be emailed to you once you so that you can obtain an F-1 student visa at the nearest U.S. consulate of your home country.


Begin the application process early. Follow the steps on the Application Procedures Checklist. You must complete the Application, Medical History, and Immunization form, submit the Affidavit of Financial Support. The Transfer Clearance Form is required if you are a Transfer student. The Transient form is required if you are a Transient student. We encourage you to complete the application process at least four months prior to the term you would like to register for, to allow for student visa processing.


Trenholm State grants credit for college coursework, Credit for Prior Learning (CPL), industry recognized credentials, College Level Examination Program (CLEP), and military credit.


The tuition rate for F-1 students is 2 times the in-state tuition rate. Twelve credit hours per semester = $1908.00 times 2 = $3816.00. Click here to view the Tuition Fee Chart.


At the present time, there is no financial aid or scholarships for F-1 international students.


You must connect with the designated school officer (DSO) for international students or to register for classes. You will not be able to register for classes until you connect with either of these designated school officers. Failure to comply will result in termination of your SEVIS record.


The TOEFL code for Trenholm State is 1615.


A minimum score ranging from 5.5 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) as determined by the college, or a total score of 61 on the Internet-based TOEFL, a 2A on the Step EIKEN Test in Practical English Proficiency, or a total score of 500 on the paper-based TOEFL.


The English as a Second Language exam may be waived for students from all English speaking countries, including but not limited to: Anguilla, Antigua, and Barbuda, Australia (Australian English), the Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, Belize (Belizean Kriol), the British Indian Ocean Territory, British Virgin Islands, Canada (Canadian English), the Cayman Islands, Dominica, the Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Grenada, Guam, Guernsey (Channel Island English), Guyana, Ireland (Hiberno-English), Isle of Man (Manx English), Jamaica (Jamaican English), Jersey, Montserrat, Nauru, New Zealand (New Zealand English), Nigeria, Pitcairn Islands, Saint Helena, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Tanzania, Singapore, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands, Trinidad and Tobago, the Turks and Caicos Islands, Gambia, the United Kingdom, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and the United States.


Yes, we have free tutoring services available in our Student Success Center. Click here for more information.


International students are responsible for securing private housing and paying out-of-state tuition. There is no housing on the Trenholm State Community College campus. Apartments are available within driving distance. There is no financial aid available for international students.


At the present time, there are no employment opportunities for F-1 international students.


After you receive the I-20 and admission letter via mail or email, you should confirm the date you need to connect with your international student advisor. Contact or to schedule an appointment for International Student Orientation.


Trenholm State does not offer health insurance for F-1 students. All international students must have proof of insurance to register for classes. Below is a list of health insurance companies that are for international students. The list is to be used as a resource but does not promote or advertise for any of the companies listed. These companies are not affiliated with Trenholm State.

  1. ISO Insurance
  2. iNext
  3. International Student Insurance
  4. International Student Affairs, Inc. Insurance for Students
  5. United healthcare/PGH Global

These are a few options available to you, but you can do a search for ‘International Student Health Plans” using your preferred search engine.


If you still have questions, contact us.

History of

For half a century, thousands of students have charted their path to success at Trenholm State Community College. From the 1960s to today, we have been part of the fabric of Montgomery and the River Region, growing to include diverse programs of study, multiple campuses, and online learning. Now, we celebrate the present and move forward with a renewed dedication to our community and the success of our students. We invite you to join us.

Contact Trenholm State

1-866-753-4544 334-420-4200

Trenholm Campus:
1225 Air Base Blvd
Montgomery, Alabama 36108
Directions »
Mailing Address:
Post Office Box 10048
Montgomery, Alabama 36108