The Truck Driving program at H. Councill Trenholm State Community College is designed to prepare the student to operate vehicles requiring a commercial driver’s license. A six-week, non-credit Truck Driving program is offered that utilizes the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) model curriculum as the foundation for training and takes the student from basic through advanced operation of a tractor/trailer. Additionally, courses taught include safe operation practices and non-vehicle activities (which are not directly related to the vehicle) which must be performed by the operator. Information is presented in an intensive question and answer format and hands-on training to provide the most efficient and cost-effective method for preparing a student for a commercial driver’s license.
- Students entering the Truck Driving Program must have a valid driver’s license.
- Be at least twenty-one (21) years of age.
- Successfully pass a DOT physical which includes a drug screen.
- Present a current Motor Vehicle Report (MVR).
- Prior to being enrolled, students may obtain the Alabama Commercial Drivers Learner’s License.
- Students are subject to DOT random drug testing rules.
For more information, contact the CDL office at 334-420-4411.
Truck Driving Program Calendar 2019 - 2020
$2,800 for the Class A License class (please see costs associated with the program)*
5 days a week, 30 hours per week - 6 weeks
100% of funding is available through the Alabama Career Center. For information regarding eligibility and application for the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA), find your local career center. Tell them you are interested in attending the CDL/Truck Driving class here at Trenholm State Community College.
Truck Driving Training Center (map)
5420 Troy Highway
Montgomery, AL 36116
- Training - $1,985.00 (To reserve your seat, registration and payment are required.)
- Motor Vehicle Report (MVR) - $5.75
Alabama Department of Public Safety
301 South Ripley Street
Montgomery, AL 36102
- Learner’s Permit - $36.25
- License Class A - $66.25
- DOT Physical and Drug Screen - $45.00 - $100.00
- Register and Pay - Application for Non-Credit Course
• Self Pay - Cash, Credit Card, or Check is an accepted form of payment.
• WIOA - For information concerning WIOA funding to cover the cost of this program, find your local career center. Tell them you are interested in attending the CDL/Truck Driving class here at Trenholm State Community College.
- Required Documents for the Truck Driving Program
- Proof of Drug Testing
- D. O. T. Physical
- Motor Vehicle Report
- Current Valid Driver's License/ Commercial Learner License