Upward Bound is an outreach program for High School Students.
Trenholm State Upward Bound provides support to participants in their preparation for college entrance. The program provides opportunities for participants to succeed in their precollege performance and ultimately in their higher education pursuits. Upward Bound serves: high school students from low-income families; and high school students from families in which neither parent holds a bachelor's degree. The goal of Upward Bound is to increase the rate at which participants complete secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of postsecondary education.
Qualifications for Upward Bound Services
- Currently in the 9th or 10th grade
- Enrolled at one of the seven targeted high schools in the Tri-County Area
Prattville High (Autauga County)
Wetumpka High (Elmore County)
Calhoun High (Lowndes County)
- A first-generation college student (neither of your parents has a four-year degree and/or economically disadvantaged based on federal guidelines)
- A U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Have demonstrated a need for project services as assessed by project staff
- Want to go to college and are motivated to achieve academic success
- Committed to participating in Upward Bound Academic Enrichment (Academic year component held on 22 Saturdays) and a six-week summer component through high school graduation.
Services provided by Upward Bound
- Academic classes (Math, Science, Literature, Composition and Spanish)
- Life Skills Seminars
- Cultural Events (Field trips, Guest speakers, College tours)
- Career Orientation
- College Assistance (Financial Aid, Scholarship Information)
- ACT preparation
- Individual and Group Counseling
Academic Year Component
Academic year activities include academic advising, tutoring, ACT and SAT test preparation, college and financial aid planning and career exploration. Classes are held on Saturdays with Upward Bound staff to monitor academic progress and receive assistance with college selection and application process.
Each Summer, students are required to participate in a six week program located on the Trenholm State Campus. The summer program will include academic classes, career exploration, college visits, cultural recreational and community services activities.
Ms. Geneva Patterson
Director of Upward Bound
Learning Resource Center (Library Tower)
3086 Mobile Highway
Montgomery, Alabama 36108