Admissions & Financial Aid
ACCUPLACER Assessment Information
What Is The ACCUPLACER Placement Test?
ACCUPLACER® Placement Test is a computerized assessment of skills in Math and Writing. It is used to measure your readiness for college-level courses and to help enroll students in the class which corresponds to their individual skill levels in Math and English. We currently use the Next-Generation ACCUPLACER Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics placement test, and the WritePlacer Test.
Do I Have To Take The Test?
Many programs offered at the College require that students complete at least one college level Math Course (MTH 100 or above) and at least one college level English Course (ENG 100 or above) as part of their degree or certificate requirements. In order to determine the appropriate level Math and/or English course the student should enroll in, the student must provide their transcripts (high school, GED, college) and other required documents to the admissions office during the admissions process. Once the admissions office receives these documents, they will review them and determine if the student must take the ACCUPLACER or if they can be exempt from taking the ACCUPLACER. (See Placement Test Exemption Criteria) below. Therefore, it is very important that you provide a copy of your transcripts to the admissions office as soon as possible after submitting your application for admission.
How Do I Register For The Test?
- Students who are required to take the ACCUPLACER Placement Test will receive an email from ‘Student Success Center Testing Services’ (from the following email address: email@example.com) informing them of their testing requirement and how to register for the test.
- It is important to remember that many students will not need to take the ACCUPLACER Placement test. Only students who receive the email notification from firstname.lastname@example.org will be required to take the placement test.
- Please check your email regularly for updates and important details.
What Should I Do To Get Prepared For The ACCUPLACER?
- Use study guides and practice tests to help you prepare. These free resources include the types of questions and essays you’ll see when you take the ACCUPLACER Test, so you’ll know ahead of time what your experience will be like on test day. For the Math Test, use the Next-Generation ACCUPLACER Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics study guide. For the Writing Test, use the WritePlacer Guide with Sample Essays.
- Meet with a Tutor in the Student Success Center to help you get prepared. We offer tutoring and ACCUPLACER Prep sessions weekly. Student Success Center to schedule your appointment today.
- Download the free ACCUPLACER Study App. This study app features official practice tests in each subject that you can take on your computer, smartphone, or tablet. It is formatted just like the real ACCUPLACER tests, and you will receive immediate feedback explaining correct and incorrect answers.
Test Exemption Guidelines
No tests are required for general admission to Trenholm State Community College but may be required for placement in college-level courses.
First-time college students may have ACT, SAT or GED (2014 series) scores considered for placement in college-level English and math if those scores have been earned within 5 years. If test scores are not available or not at the appropriate level, then students who have graduated high school within 5 years with a 2.75 grade point average (GPA) may have their grades in English IV (senior English) and Algebra II considered for placement in college-level English and math. Students must have the results of their ACT, SAT or GED and high school transcripts** forwarded to Trenholm State to be used for placement purposes.
First-time students without proof of appropriate ACT, SAT or GED scores, those with scores below the established guidelines, or those without proof of a 2.75 grade point average or higher on their final high school transcript, must take the ACCUPLACER Placement Assessment in English and Math prior to meeting with an advisor to enroll in Math and English courses.
Students who transfer from a regionally accredited college without a C or better in a degree-creditable English composition and college-level algebra course and without exemptions as listed below, will be required to take one or both parts of the placement test.
Want to know how you can be exempt from taking the ACCUPLACER? Click the following link to view more details. ACCUPLACER Exemptions
If you have questions or need assistance, please contact email@example.com.
Trenholm State has adopted a modified schedule to minimize exposure to COVID-19. During this time, testing services will not be available. Please check this page for updates on when testing services will resume.
Thank you for your interest in placement testing at Trenholm State Community College. Due to the impact of COVID-19, we are not able to offer the ACCUPLACER on campus but we are working to provide a remote testing solution which would allow prospective students/testers to complete the ACCUPLACER at home using a desktop computer, laptop, or Chromebook.
We anticipate this option to be available by the end of April 2020. This will help ensure you are able to meet your placement testing requirements prior to the enrollment deadline for the upcoming semester. We are here to assist you and welcome any questions you may have. Please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org -email@example.com -or- call us at 334-603-2020. Thank you for your patience and understanding during this unprecedented time. We’re in this together and we look forward to assisting you!
The form below must be completed in order to register for an upcoming test date. Once complete, please make sure that you click the submit button at the bottom of the form.
Please make sure that you have completed the Admissions process prior to registering for the ACCUPLACER Placement Assessment.
The following documents must be completed and submitted to the Admissions Office before you are eligible to reserve a space for the ACCUPLACER Placement Assessment:
- Admissions Application
- Photo Identification
- Official High School Transcript/GED Transcript
- Official College Transcripts
Required Disability Services
If you need to request Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA/504) services please contact Mr. Calloway (334) 420-4326 or email – firstname.lastname@example.org at least 2 weeks before taking the ACCUPLACER Placement Assessment.
- A valid (non-expired) picture I.D. is required prior to testing or retesting.
- REVIEW the information provided about What to Expect on the Accuplacer Placement Assessment.
* NO TESTING DURING MIDTERMS AND FINAL EXAM WEEKS