Trenholm State Community College is offering a training program to prepare individuals to work as electric utility line workers.
Before clicking on the application button, please ensure that you have reviewed the information below.
Applications submitted from August 11, 2021 to September 1, 2021 will be used in selecting candidates for Trenholm State’s January 2022 and March 2022 Line Worker Training classes.
Line Worker Classes Include:
- OSHA 10
- Construction and Skills Trades (CAST) Test Prep
- Basic Pole Climbing
- CPR/First Aid
- Truck Driving Overview
- Material Familiarization
- Basic Electricity
- Interpersonal Skills
- Ladder Safety/Post Hole Diggers
- Knots, Sledgehammer
- Rigging Switches; Use and care of Hand Line
- Resume writing/Mock Interviews
- Climbing and Working Aloft
- Mechanized Equipment
- Basic Line Construction/Pole top Rescue
- ROV Training
- Traffic Control
- Commercial Driver Training (CDL)
- Minimum age of 18 years old
- Must be 18 years old the day before Screening/Pole Climbing Evaluation
- Climbing and working suspended above ground up to 200 feet
- Students weigh no more than 280 pounds due to OSHA equipment restrictions
- Fitness is required. If participants are unable to meet the physical requirements of this program, the tuition cost will not be refunded
- Ability to lift 50 pounds or more
- Ability to earn a Commercial Driver's License (CDL). The Department of Transportation (DOT) requires a physical before a Commercial Driver's Permit will be issued. Possible CDL health disqualifiers: epilepsy, kidney disease, narcolepsy or sleep apnea, color blindness, blind in one eye, must be able to hear all sounds 40 decibels or less, heart disease or hypertension, severe respiratory condition, loss of use of an extremity, diabetes currently requiring insulin, congestive cardiac failure, pacemakers, orthopedic or vascular disease, and psychiatric disorder; just to name a few
- Class will begin at 8:00 a.m. on Monday, January 10, 2022.
- Training will be held at Trenholm State’s Patterson Site – 3920 Troy Highway, Montgomery
- Ten (10) seats will be available in each class; five (5) alternates will be selected should someone drop out before classes begin. Applications submitted from August 11, 2021 to September 1, 2021 will be used in selecting candidates for Trenholm State’s January 2022 and March 2022 Line Worker Training classes.
- Two (2) 9-week courses – 4/5 days per week – 10-hour days (7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.) Click Here for Class 1 Schedule; Click Here for Class 2 Schedule.
- $4,150.00 per student. (Financial assistance and scholarships may be available; Candidates selected to participate will be provided information about these opportunities.)
- Some students may be required to purchase additional safety equipment which ranges from $50 - $250.
Applications will be accepted from August 11th – September 1st, 2021.
Candidates meeting the initial screening criteria will be notified to schedule the TABE test, request ACT scores or request unofficial college transcripts.
Candidates meeting the second screening criteria will be notified and required to attend an Information/Assessment Session on Friday, October 15th or Saturday, October 16th.
Final Candidates will be notified on Wednesday, October 27th and given additional information on required documentation and deadlines.