Request For Information        

White Titan Logo


Department Information


Trenholm Campus: 
1225 Air Base Blvd
Montgomery, Alabama 36108

Patterson Site:
3920 Troy Highway
Montgomery, Alabama 36116

Phone: 1-866-753-4544
Phone: 334-420-4200

Student Services


The Office of Records is here to provide information and services to meet the needs of the Trenholm State faculty, staff, students, and community. The Office delivers transcripts of student academic records (official and student copies), facilitates advising and registration each semester for-credit classes, and verifies and certifies student enrollment status. In addition to planning the Commencement Ceremony, the Office processes grade changes, transfer credit, certificates and degrees, curriculum updates, degree plans, and student information. Specific registration information is contained in instructions distributed to applicants and students before each semester begins.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is FERPA? To Whom does it apply?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) is a federal law governing the privacy of educational records. The law, also known as the Buckley Amendment, applies to all educational agencies or institutions that receive funds under any program administered by the US Department of Education.
FERPA applies to personally identifiable information in educational records. This includes items such as the student’s name, addresses, personal identifiers such as social security numbers, and personal characteristics or other information that make the student’s identity easily traceable.

When does the FERPA rights of a student begin?

The first day of class for the student’s initial term of attendance at Trenholm State. The definition of a “student” is defined as any person who is or has been officially enrolled in and is attending or has attended any course offered at the College. This definition does not include prospective students.

Can you share a student's information with their parents?

No. Once a student reaches the age of 18 or attends an institution of postsecondary education, the parents have no rights under FERPA. Only the student can give permission for their parents to have access to their records.

Students may complete a FERPA Student Information Release Form located on the College’s website. Here is the direct link: FERPA Student Information Release Form. Once submitted, your request will be sent to the Office of Records for processing.

What data has Trenholm State defined as Directory Information?

The student’s name, address, telephone number, date and place of birth, dates of attendance, educational agencies or institutions most recently attended by the student, program of study, degree desired and classification, participation in officially recognized clubs, organizations and activities, degrees and awards received.

Can instructors post grades or results from exams in a public place using a portion of the students' social security number or student identification number?

No. In order for an instructor to post grades or scores, they must either have the written permission of the students or use an identifier that is known only to the instructor and each individual student.

If a private business or industry requests directory information for students in your program, must you release this information?

No. An institution is under no obligation to release directory information to anyone. FERPA only says that an institution MAY release directory information. When in doubt, refer the individual to the Registrar.

Do faculty members have a right to inspect education records of any student without giving a reason?

No. Faculty members are considered “school officials”, but the faculty member must demonstrate “a legitimate educational interest” in their request to access student records, e.g., advising students, retention study, etc.

Whom should I contact with questions or concerns?

Direct all question to the Office of Records

When does FERPA apply?
FERPA applies once a student begins taking any course at Trenholm State and thereafter covers all records relating to the student’s status, no matter when the records are created or received. For instance, applicants who apply and choose not to attend are not “students” for FERPA purposes, but once a student registers, his or her record becomes a FERPA-protected student record. Student status does not begin until a student begins taking at least one course at the College.
What is an education record?

Any record that is maintained by the institution and is personally identifiable to the student. Exceptions to this are medical records, law enforcement records, employment records, alumni records, and sole possession records such as notes in sole possession of the maker, used only as a personal memory aid and not revealed or accessible to any other person.

What are a student’s rights under FERPA?

Under FERPA, a student has the right to

• Inspect and review his or her educational records.
• Request to amend his or her educational records.
• Have some control over the disclosure of information from his or her educational records.

Do students have a right to see and change their educational records?

Upon written request, Trenholm State shall provide a student access to his or her educational records except for financial records of the student’s parents or guardian; and confidential letters of recommendation where the student has signed a waiver of right of access. If the records contain information on more than one student, the requesting student may inspect, review, or be informed on only the specific information about his or her own records. A student may obtain copies of his or her educational records. Educational records covered by FERPA normally will be made available within 45 days of the request. The contents of a student’s educational records may be challenged by the student on the grounds that they are inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the privacy rights of the student by submitting a written statement to the custodian of records. The Registrar is the official custodian of records at the College.

Is there some way that a student can block his or her information?

Students who wish to restrict the release of directory information should complete a Request to Withhold Directory Information form. Here is the direct link: Request to Withhold Directory Information. Students who wish to withhold Directory Information should realize that their names will not appear in the commencement program and other College publications. Also, employers, scholarship committees, etc., will be denied the student’s directory information as well. Requests to withhold directory information are permanent until the student requests that the restriction be removed.

What should you do if your unit receives a subpoena for an academic record?

Forward it to the Registrar as soon as possible.

Who is a “college official”?

A college official is any person employed by the college in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support position; a person elected to the Alabama State Board of Education; a Trenholm State student or a graduate serving on an official college committee or assisting another college official in performing his or her tasks; or a person employed by or under contract to, or serving as the agent of, the college to perform a specific task.

You receive a telephone call from a parent claiming there is a family emergency, and they need to contact their child immediately. Can you tell the parents the day, time and location of their son’s or daughter’s class?

Generally, the answer is “no.” At Trenholm State, a student’s class schedule is not listed as directory information; therefore, this information may not be released. The answer may be “yes” depending on the circumstances of the emergency. FERPA states that if the release of nondirectory information is “necessary to protect the health or safety of the student or other individuals,” then this information may be released.


The College is required by the provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) to provide students annual notification of their FERPA rights. Students will be notified by publication of the regulations in the College Catalog/Student Handbook. FERPA information is available on the College’s website. A student who believes his or her FERPA rights have been violated can file a complaint with the Family Policy Compliance Office at the U.S. Department of Education.

Family Policy Compliance Office

U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20202-5920
Phone: 1-800-USA-LEARN (1-800-872-5327)

Other related links: